Sunday, November 11, 2012

Vogue 8565 and Simplicity 2181

This was my attempt to mesh two patterns together. I like the outcome, but I will be doing this differently on my next one.
The Vogue is out of print and I believe Style Arc has a similar tee. I can tell you how I think you can make this without those two patterns, because I am going to try this again without either of these patterns.  On this top, I used the sleeves from S2181 and traced the front portion of the armhole to the front pattern piece and the same for the back.  After I sewed this up, the shoulders were to wide. I fixed the cap by sewing it deeper into the body which gave medium results. This is the reason the next version will be with a TNT like Jalie, Kwik Sew or Ottobre's basic tee.  ( more on my hypothesis later)

Changes besides the sleeves,
 Lowered the neckline by 2 inches
Neckline with self fabric:  See my video on how to put on a knit neckline without measuring.
Lengthened top by 2 inches

What I will do next time, or if you do not have this OOP Vogue:

I will take a portion of my knit fabric designated for the top and sew down the pleats.  These pleats are marked 1 inch apart and 9 inches long. They are sewn down with 1/4 inch seams. The pattern has 12 pleats going to the center, mine are all going to the left and 11 pleats.  Then I will lay my front pattern on top of this and cut it out. That way the sleeves will match the pattern used.  I guess you could also spread your TNT top pattern 12 inches out for the pleats if you are using a one layer pattern front.

If anyone has done this similar to my above hypothesis, let me know if it worked out or should I do something different.

Happy Sewing!



  1. This is really beautiful Claire. I was just thinking today how I need to start taking a look at the patterns I have and see how I can combine them or tweak them into new designs for myself. :)

    1. Thanks Shirley Ann! Good luck with combining. It has been hit or miss with my pattern merging. I am sure there is some scientific way to do this better than what I have come up with.

  2. This top looks lovely. I clicked on your pattern review because it looks so much like the StyleArc Milly top, which I've made a couple of times. The StyleArc pattern has a centre seam and the pleats are folded away from the centre. It is also closer fitting across the bust than your top, which I think would be a flattering adjustment on you (I hope you don't mind me saying!). The StyleArc pattern provides a second, smaller front pattern piece to lay over your pleated front to check the sizing is correct before you proceed with the rest of the pattern. Is that what you were planning for next time? Great job :)

  3. Thanks for the info Megan and you are so right about this one needing a closer fit across the bust! I think I will get the Style Arc pattern and not do any more frankenpatterns. I have just felt kind of ho hum about this tee and messing around with another rendition will probably just be frustrating.

  4. I love your top! Your version inspired me on making one of my own. I took Medical exam table paper and marked out a line at each inch indicating each pintuck. I then marked a line 1/4" on either side of the pintuck line. I folded out each pintuck, then placed the folded paper over my TNT shirt pattern and traced it onto the folded paper. I cut out the folded paper and, when unfolded, I had the pintucks transferred to my TNT top. I hope I explained this clearly...